Men in Glasses Are Sexy, Say 87 Percent of Women
New Eyewear Retailer Ditto.com Clues Men in on What Women Want
SAN FRANCISCO, CA — (Marketwire - Dec 12, 2012) - The women of America have spoken, and they have overwhelmingly told new online eyewear retailer DITTO.com that a man in glasses is one sexy man.
A whopping 87 percent of women think men in glasses are sexy, while 91 percent say the same of men in sunglasses. The survey was conducted online in November 2012 by Harris Interactive on behalf of Ditto.com among 1,111 U.S. women ages 18 and older.
Holiday shoppers picking out gifts for family, friends or even a little treat for themselves can keep the online poll's clear-cut preferences in mind to give the gift of style to the men on their lists this year.
In the prescription glasses department, a minimalist look is most popular, with 56 percent of all women finding it sexy. When it comes to sunglasses, aviators are thought to be the sexiest shades overall, with 53 percent of women across all age groups confessing to finding them sexy.
More favorite looks include:
Does the Northeast's notoriously intellectual bent make a sexy
nerd the hottest ticket in town?
- It would seem so, with more than nine out of 10 women (91 percent of women, five percent more than the national average) in the region finding glasses sexy on men.
- The most popular minimalist look is especially hot among younger women (millennials and GenX-er's ages 18 - 44), with 64 percent labeling them sexy.
- Single women and students of all ages love a thick, vintage-inspired frame, with 39 and 40 percent respectively finding these sexy, as compared to only 19 percent of married women and 25 percent of women overall.
A classic round look is thought to be hot by 12 percent of women
overall, but more-so among women ages 45 - 54, with 17 percent
of this age group noting they find the look sexy.
- Women with the highest household income levels (more than $75,000 per year) find this look most attractive, with nearly one in five (18 percent) finding it sexy.
When it comes to picking a style of shades they think is sexy:
- Fifty-three percent think aviators are
- Forty-six percent go for a sporty look
- Eighteen percent like vintage-inspired
Aviators were the look women overall found sexiest, a trend that
sent sparks flying for everyone from recent high school graduates
to their retired counterparts. The craze is hottest among:
- Students, with 65 percent pledging their allegiance
- Boomers (those age 55 and up), with a higher preference (55 percent) than any other age group
Middle-aged and Gen-X women are crazy for the sporty look, with
59 percent of women ages 35 - 44 and 57 percent of women ages
45 - 54 finding these shades sexy — the most marked
preferences for any style by any age group.
- The look is similarly popular among those with children under 18 in the household, with 57 percent of these women finding it sexy.
- A vintage-inspired throwback look is highly attractive to the millennial crowd (ages 18 - 34) and students of all ages, with nearly one of our four (24 percent) in each group finding it steamy.
Now that shoppers are armed with what's hot, they can check out DITTO's exclusive, virtual video try-on technology and consult its online team of expert stylists to find the perfect pair of designer glasses or designer sunglasses for anyone on this year's list.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of DITTO from November 15 - 19, 2012 among 1,111 female adults aged 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Katie Clark-AlSadder of SHIFT Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DITTO is a new ecommerce site selling a wide collection of the best designer glasses, sunglasses, and prescription sunglasses. Based in San Mateo, DITTO uses patent-pending technology to let shoppers create a DITTO, a video of their face from their webcam to virtually try on glasses to see how they fit in 180 degree views before they buy them from the site. Customers can also share their DITTO to get feedback from friends or ask a DITTO stylist for a personalized recommendation.
About Harris Interactive:
Harris Interactive is one of the world's leading market research firms, leveraging research, technology, and business acumen to transform relevant insight into actionable foresight. Known widely for the Harris Poll® and for pioneering innovative research methodologies, Harris offers proprietary solutions in the areas of market and customer insight, corporate brand and reputation strategy, and marketing, advertising, public relations and communications research. Harris possesses expertise in a wide range of industries including health care, technology, public affairs, energy, telecommunications, financial services, insurance, media, retail, restaurant, and consumer package goods. Additionally, Harris has a portfolio of multi-client offerings that complement our custom solutions while maximizing our client's research investment. Serving clients in more than 196 countries and territories through our North American and European offices, Harris specializes in delivering research solutions that help us — and our clients — stay ahead of what's next. For more information, please visit www.harrisinteractive.com.